Friday, February 2, 2007

Walking to Work - February 2, 2007

Last week I decided to try walking to work. This decision stemmed partially from my son needing to borrow my car while his is not running at the moment. But it soon seemed like a good idea; help the environment by not polluting, save on gas money, and I must admit, I can use the exercise. I started out by walking home a few times (Son took me to work); not bad. It's downhill; 45 minutes to reach our house. So, OK, I'll give it a try. First walk to work took place on Saturday, January 28, 2007. I prepared the night before, found a daypack in which to haul my lunch and a comfortable pair of work shoes. Took a small flashlight as the morning walk will take place in the dark and some of the walk is alongside a country road. I dressed warmly, including my overlong knitted scarf which now finds a purpose in covering my ears, neck, chin and mouth during the very cold mornings. I even included a poncho in case of rain. I felt very invigorated by all this. It felt like an adventure. And it was an adventure the first day. I arrived at work in time for a quick trip to the restroom to revamp my hair (I brought a comb), and had time to change my shoes and grab a cup of tea. I had even remembered to bring 1/2 of a peanut butter sandwich for breakfast. Success!

I have divided the walk into three 15 minute sections. It makes it much easier to gauge where I'm at and what I have left. The second morning as I left for work I walked across the street from the small herd of deer which winters in our subdivision. None of them ran at the sight of me. Some of them stood and stared. I guess they're only accustomed to seeing the newspaper delivery person at that hour. Anyway, it made the walk worth it. I hope to see them again. A full moon has been lighting my way this week. Gorgeous.

I have noticed that if I have to work late it is a completely different feeling when I know I have to walk home after. Not nearly as inconsequencial. Feeling like crying is what comes to mind.

Last night as I was crossing a field I felt tiny pieces of something hitting my face. Like miniature crystals. The sky was clear, it wasn't snowing. The trees had no mantle of falling snow upon them. It was the strangest sensation. But pleasant. Mysterious and wonderful. And, I'm sure, easily explained.

Now I am into Day Four. This morning the temperature was 14 degrees as I left the house at 4:30AM. That's a bit cold. After 30 minutes my legs felt numb, like they were asleep. As in pins and needles asleep. Not pleasant. The walk home was in 32 degree weather. Felt absolutely balmy.

I'm not sure how long I will continue with my walks. I am enjoying them. Tonight as I left work a fellow employee who I didn't know asked if I needed a ride. That was very sweet. But it reminded me that this is a choice. A choice I made. My goal is to continue walking to work for a full year. I'm not sure I have the required stamina or commitment. Time will tell. I do hope I see those deer again.

No comments: