Friday, February 11, 2011

Yurt 2 Highlights

Kim and I recently returned from our second yurt trip of the winter. I'll give you the highlights.

Our second night up we were the fortunate witnesses of a gorgeous sunset. Kim trekked around the corner to take a pic of it with the yurt in the foreground.





He also caught a close up of these ice crystals on the deck. Don't they look like miniature snowflakes?










I finished knitting a hat to match my new sweater.



























Chelsea had her usual great time running around in the snow chasing imaginary squirrels.







I made a short video in an attempt to demonstrate what an effort it is to use the outhouse at the yurt. That's the one drawback of "yurting" for me - walking to the outhouse when the temperature is hovering around 17˚F and the toilet seat is covered with ice crystals.
Now imagine doing that in the pitch black of night.
You get the idea.






Finally, I had some fun making Chelsea "sing".


8 comments:

Goneferalinidaho said...

Aww, what a cutie and what a singer. Great job on the hat. The outhouse video made me smile.

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Chelsea looks happy!

garden girl said...

So many cool things in this post! The walk to the outhouse reminds me of visiting my grandparents' farm when I was a kid. The house was a converted barn and the water came from a bucket lowered with a crank down into the well. At least the walk to the outhouse was a little shorter than your walk from the yurt. The view you have from the throne is beautiful!

Love the sweater and hat. Those ice crystals are ephemeral works of art. And the sunset - WOW - breathtaking!

Bonnie said...

Love the crystals! One thing to say about the outhouse - porta potty! We take one with us to cabins in Vermont that don't have indoor plumbing.

Pat said...

Yurt KILLING me !!!
What is a yurt anyway ?
Hubby got a kick out of your videos also.

Rosemary said...

Cute Hat and you are a braver soul than I trekking to the outhouse in the dark.

Victoria Williams said...

Bonnie, we would consider a port a potty but as it is we're hauling in everything we need 2 miles to the yurt; sleeping bag, clothing, food, etc.

Anonymous said...

2nd day in a row that I had to come back and watch Chelsea sing :)