Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Fun With Food

I love my new job in the Boise Co-op Bakery. It's fun. It's interesting. I learn stuff.

Like how to make profiteroles. Never heard of profiteroles? I hadn't heard the term either. They're cream puffs.

Just look at the beauties I made this week.




This was my second attempt. The first time I tried to make them they flopped. Horribly. But, with Lucy's help (my bakery co-worker and mentor), the next day I corrected my mistakes and these were the result.

Just look at the finished product. Aren't they gorgeous?

(I also made the pastry cream.)




They taste just as good as they look.

We make all sorts of delicious sugary delights in the bakery including cookies; Lemon Cake, Orange Ginger, Glazed Pumpkin, Peanut Butter, Chocolate Chip, Chocolate Macaroons, Vanilla Macaroons, Glazed Ginger, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Apricot Cornmeal Sage, Cherry Chocolate Chip, Pecan Chocolate, Glazed Pear, Cranberry Walnut, Everything, Pecan Sandies, Oatmeal Scotchies, Raisin Oatmeal, Oatmeal Chocolate Chip and Monster.

Also very popular are our bars; Lemon, Toffee, Raspberry Fudge, Grasshopper, Caramel Cashew, Raspberry Cheesecake, Blueberry Streusel, Brownie Shortbread, Lazy, Key Lime, Macadamia Nut, Kahlua, Cheesecake, Peanut Butter Chocolate, and Edinburgh.

The cakes we make include Black Out (you can imagine just how chocolaty this cake is), Carrot Cake (one of the best I've eaten), Flourless Chocolate Torte (it's like smooth fudge in your mouth), German Chocolate and Ghirardelli Chocolate. (pictured below)





Lucy and I are responsible for a variety of items including cream puffs, pies, quiches, trifles, muffins, scones, etc. The holidays will be a blur of pie crusts and fillings.


This is how I spend my working hours; fulfilling the sweet tooth needs of the co-op customers.

17 comments:

Dirt Princess said...

What a fun job! you did great, they look delicious

our friend Ben said...

Oh, yum, Victoria! I don't suppose you could send me a care package with the profiteroles and that cake, by any chance? No?! Well, I can dream...

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

OMG! Want all of them right now with my morning coffee! I lost 3lb in Kauai, but who cares?! I am jealous: you have such job and you go to Kauai in December! What a wonderful place! The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook (Andrew Doughty, Wizard publications Inc) was a great help. Locals told me that it's not crowdy there in December.Lucky you!Thanks for your comments on my Kauai posts Victoria!

Connie said...

The cream puffs are beautiful all on their own, but with the toppings and their pretty wrappers they make an irresistible presentation. The cake is gorgeous, too.
I better not let my husband see this....he loves sampling sweets at stores like yours.

Rosemary said...

My mouth is watering , my Grannie made cream puffs , I love them. Good thing you are doing marathons.......Yes I am watching Defying Gravity.

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

It is nice to work in a place where mouth-watering finger-licking good food is in abundance........ Cheers, ~bangchik

Kathleen said...

oh my goodness Victoria. I would gain so much weight working in a place like that. I have a tremendous sweet tooth ~ it's a daily thing to keep a lid on it. Your pictures are starting a craving!! I'm glad you like your new job tho ~ that's always a plus. A side benefit will be developing all those baking skills (it looked like you had quite a few already but pastries, etc., will just round them out) Good luck learning the ropes and getting acclimated.

mmichele said...

yyuummmm.... you might have to consider jogging to work in order to work up your appetite.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

You seem to have delicious food on her a lot :) Seems like it would be very fun to get to make such yummy and pretty food.

vuejardin said...

It looks so yummy! I wish you live close by :)

Heather said...

Dang, remind me to stay far far away from the Co-op. I seriously don't need sweets that look that delectible. Lovely and scrumptious looking!

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Ghirardelli --whoa....say no more. Love it! I would be 400 lbs. if I worked at a bakery. Your cream puffs look yummy.

Anonymous said...

OMG, what talent you have! It looks so scrumptious AND beautiful! Great job! I love cream puffs. I could eat them by the dozens and yours look like ones I could gobble right down!

Becca's Dirt said...

I know you are so glad to be working and what a great place to work. Sounds like you are enjoying what you are doing. You did a fabulous job on the cream puffs. I've never made them before.

Cynthia said...

Kathleen took the words right out of my mouth. Yum! What a fun place to work too. Your pictures are good enough to eat!

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Hi Kim and Victoria... I am passing you the Meme Award. If you already have it, you can always have another one, why not..... haha. Check out my latest post! ~ bangchik.

Bek said...

Hmm. Torture looling at those yammi pastries....