Sunday, May 17, 2015

Let's Eat Oranges

It's all about orange today.



But orange in recipes.

I love to follow a theme when I cook.  (OK, just sometimes).  It's not like I think of myself as another "Martha".

But when I buy a bag of oranges it's fun to use it up in all kinds of recipes.  Here are some of my favorites.

For the main course Orange-Braised Chicken hits the spot.  This recipe is easy.  I left the prosciutto out because I'm not a big red meat eater, but I'm sure if you added it in the flavor would possibly improve.


Not a chicken lover?  Go with Orange Shrimp instead.  The salsa really makes this dish.


Here's another token orange flower.



Let's move on to dessert. 
This Orange Pound Cake is delicious.  Just be sure you follow the directions and use something like a wooden skewer (a toothpick just isn't long enough) to make holes in the top of the cake before brushing on the glaze.  I used a toothpick and the glaze only went halfway through.  (You can see my note to self in the lower right.)


Or try this Orange Almond Upside Down Cake of which I actually shot a photo when I made it.


The one change I made to this cake was to double the sugar glaze.  Doing so made the cake extra moist.  Don't be afraid to leave the orange peel on the orange slices.  But I would recommend using organic oranges.



Print off these recipes and have fun.


4 comments:

Country Girl said...

I'm going to try that orange shrimp tomorrow, since I have both a bag of oranges and a bag of avocados (just made a trip to Sam's Club!)

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Hi Victoria! Orange is not my favorite color in the garden, but in the kitchen.... mmmmm.... I usually buy a bag of oranges for juice-making, but your recipes sound delicious! Thanks!

Country Girl said...

I tried the orange shrimp on Friday and it was a huge hit with the family. I added garlic to the shrimp marinade, and the juice from the other half of the lime. Also minced up some jalapeno in the salsa. Yummy...thanks for the recipe!

lucas said...

your recipe looks like delicious