Monday, February 23, 2015

Dog Issues: ACL and Eye

Scarface won't be doing this type of thing anytime soon.



We've decided to try the Canine Conservative Management method.  And thanks for the encouragement from everyone who weighed in.  Surgery may still eventually be his best option for recovering from his ACL injury but we'll try the non-surgical method first.

You can find lots of information about Conservative Management on this blog.

Presently Scarface is on bed rest.  Lots of rest.  Little movement.  Which means no going up to the yurt with us this year.  We'll miss him.  But he didn't time his injury well.  Even if we'd gone the surgical route he wouldn't be going on our trip this week.

Scarface has also recently developed Dry Eye.  For that problem he is being treated twice a day with an expensive medication.  The good news is it seems to be working.  We'll get the official word on the effectiveness of his medications effect at his next appointment but he is no longer rubbing and scratching at his eye.

He is also taking Rimadyl (an anti-inflammatory) which is recommended for his knee injury and he's been on glucosamine since we took him in over a year ago.

We should know in another month or so how he responds to this approach.  Then we can opt for surgery if we don't see the expected improvement.

He's enjoying some sunshine on the deck today:



And holding up that back leg...


5 comments:

Country Girl said...

I can't imagine trying to keep my dogs still! Their favorite thing is jumping and chasing. Good luck to you and Scarface!

Goneferalinidaho said...

Poor buddy. I think you made the right choice. What a nice spot to soak in the sun!

GRACE PETERSON said...

Poor Scarface. I hope he's on the mend now. You are so patient and loving with him.

Kathleen said...

My Lhasa tore his ACL when he was young, jumping off my bed. I couldn't afford the surgery at that time so the vet said it would heal itself but he warned me he would most likely get arthritis there. Years later, he has. He also has scarred his eyes from running into the bushes after rabbits & birds so he has dry eye too. I put drops in his eyes which doesn't work very well. What medication is Scarface on for that? Maybe I should find something else? I bet Scarface will be feeling better soon.

Kathleen said...

Thank you Victoria for sharing the name of the dry eye ointment! I appreciate it & I'll ask our vet about it. Have a great day!