Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Garden Tour

Kim and I attended the Lunaria League Garden Tour for the Idaho Botanical Garden this past Sunday. As usual there were some great gardens to peruse. I'll share what I considered to be the highlights.


The first garden started us off well with a massive garden including a stream, an elk topiary, grand views and attractive flower beds. Here the owner, in red, chats up a visitor.





I love the way these columnar trees frame the sunken garden.





Various musical groups were performing throughout the tour. An opera singer was on stage here. Just lovely.






Veggie beds were extremely popular this year. And we saw all sorts, from raised wood-framed beds to rock framed beds to beds framed with "beds".
(Click on this pic to enlarge.)





Keeping with the veggie theme I thought these signs, hand painted by the garden owner, were adorable and practical, too.







A hatted man enjoying the tour.


















Beehives were evident at two of the gardens; obviously trending up.














There were lovely shady gardens,





gorgeous views,





ponds,





water features,




and great landscaping. (The pink tree is a Salix integra 'Hakuro Nishiki').








That hatted man again, enjoying the view. (Is he following me?)


















There were also too many details to share here. Such as this painting of a clematis, hanging within that same clematis. Great idea.





And look at the decor on this shed,




old watering cans. Clever.


























As usual we enjoyed the tour immensely. We appreciate home owners who allow the public to roam their private gardens just for the enjoyment it brings.
Can't wait for next year.

And that hatted man? It's Kim, of course.

16 comments:

Nic said...

That first garden is stunning - Do you what type of conifer those columnar trees are? The only species I could think of that would take that sort of trimming is cypress (Cupressus sempervirens)...

Victoria Williams said...

College Gardener - not sure what the trees are...your guess is as good as mine.

Randy Emmitt said...

Guys,
Call me strange, but I enjoyed the lily pad walkway the most in this tour. The water feature was awesome too.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

I agree with Randy, love the lily pad stepping stones. What a lovely garden party, I sure like the wide views of the mountains in the distance. What a great visit! (We knew the guy in the hat was Kim!)

Emily said...

i love the bed-framed beds and the hand-painted veggie signs. looks like a neat tour.

Randy Emmitt said...

Guys,

Those stumpy hedges should be made to look like Easter island.

Yes we got the bees for honey, if they live through the winter we hope to get honey next May or June. Right now the bees are building up winter stores and brood. The empty cells if there are too many of them then it means the queen is not doing very well at laying eggs.

François Xavier said...

Tous ces jardins sont magnifiques, que de temps passés pour en arriver à cette merveille, j'adore le jardinage, mais au 4è étage sur un morceau de balcon, pas pour le moment,
bisous
FX

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

Thank you for the tour of the very impressive garden.

Pat said...

Like the pots hanging from the shed. Gives lots of interest. Fun tour loving the pond and think I have to get one of those hats.

Goneferalinidaho said...

Wow, those are some impressive gardens. I like the lily pad shaped pavers in the shade garden.

Rosemary said...

Wonderful gardens I loved the watering cans on the shed and the picture of the clematis hidden in the vine and the water feature all just had me drooling... oh to have that space ........duh no that is why I downsized still the bug is still strong ....

Capucyne said...

Quels superbes jardins et quelle profusion de fleurs! Les "beds", c'est pratique non?

Kathleen said...

I LOVE garden tours and you're right, it's very nice of other gardeners to open their private havens to us. I always appreciate it too. Sometimes I cringe when I see people stepping into beds. I've never had my garden on a tour but I would not like that!
Those columnar trees are very interesting. I'm sure they got a lot of comments. It would be fun to ask the owner how they came up with that vision.
I noticed a lot of veggie gardening on the one tour I've gone on too. I think it's a good thing ~ especially with the price of groceries these days!
Looks like a great time Victoria. I'm hoping to go on one more but we'll see if I make it....
ps I thought that "hat guy" was your hubby! It's nice you enjoy going together. I usually go with a friend.

Kathleen said...

ps Your allium is gorgeous as a blog header!!!

GRACE PETERSON said...

What a great garden tour. Don't you just love romping through people's gardens and getting ideas? We have a tour tomorrow. I'll be posting photos. Love those watering cans.

royalcrab said...

please contact me re life in ID. I was planning to relocate to OR (never been there) but plans fell through. Now i'm considering ID (never been there). I'm from Phx, AZ (my whole life). I need to make a decision very soon and would like your opinion about cities in ID.