Monday, March 22, 2010

I Had a List - Part Two

I blame Carol at May Dreams Gardens. And specifically her post "Embrace 'Why Not' For a Happier Life."

And then I received an email from Edwards Nursery informing me that their roses had arrived. What is a gardener to do?

Well - go shopping, of course!


I've been wanting an Abraham Darby rose for years. This seemed to be the year to finally take the rose by the thorns (or some such thing) and get with it.

So back to Edwards I went. Just look at all those plants waiting for a home. Makes my mouth water!





Edwards Nursery has a great selection right now.

Just look at all the roses......



And there it was; my Abraham Darby....




And into my wagon it went.

But I planned on planting something with it. That "something" being a clematis. But which one.

Well......pick one.......




Oh my.....so many choices!

But I managed. Empress went into my wagon along with Viticella Polish Spirit. I think "Polish Spirit" will look great planted with Abraham Darby. I plan on growing them together on a trellis. Empress will be on a trellis of its own.

In fact, I plan on Kim building quite a few more trellis' on the back fence. So into my wagon also went Dropmore Scarlet and Mandarin (both honeysuckles), and a Passion Vine. Kim mentioned that we needed "something" for the end of the driveway.....so I picked up three Agastache 'Tutti Frutti'. I also really liked the looks of Maltese Cross 'Lengai Red' so two of those joined the crowd.

Then there's always the "problem" of what to grow in the T.Garden window box. It's becoming shadier in there what with the grapes growing over the arbor so I decided on four Boston Ferns. Guess I'll be trying to overwinter those. I think I could get some help from my neighbor Peggy.

So my wagon looked like this.

The only thing I didn't mention is the canna I picked up. Red, of course, for my front container color scheme.





So, a big THANKS to Carol for pushing me in the right direction. I'm thrilled with my new plants. Perhaps NOW I've finished my spring shopping.

I'll update you soon on the Corralling of the Chickens. In the meantime, check out Peggy's newest additions.

12 comments:

Southern Lady said...

Your wagon looks so happy!! I just wanted to step into the pictures and shop for myself!
Carla

Randy Emmitt said...

That is a big open greenhouse! You got quite the selection there. All those ferns, hope you don't have deer problems, deer love ferns. Never heard of the clematis you got. Our clematis 3 of 5 are doing great the other 2 need help.

Unknown said...

Oh Victoria now you have my mouth watering!!! I've been just dying to hit the nurseries but still holding off. Why? Who knows but your wagon is kind of wrecking that! Great flowers. I have a new/old iron (or something hard)headboard Bob found in the woods while hunting so it's a new Clematis for me 'Ville de Lyon' my color, great big and I've heard easy to grow! I think it and the headboard will work well together.

Rosemary said...

Great selections. Abraham Darby is a terrific rose....

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great selecion. The rose os fantastic. i can't wait for more pictures of it in bloom.

Laura Paine Carr said...

You are awesome!!! I love how you made the list after the visit, or should I say, during the visit to the nursery ;-) I too, go with the "partial" list in my head, ie "...something for the end of the driveway!" and it all fills in, plumps up, quite nicely.

I am envious of your wagonload! Methinks I will be heading out to the nursery soon!

Becca's Dirt said...

I've been missing you - so glad I found your blog. Girl you went shopping didn't you and you picked up so many goodies. Can't wait to see your gardens when you have all of these in bloom.

Kathleen said...

omg, omg, omg ~ I'm SO jealous. Even if I could go shopping right now, there wouldn't be all that to buy. Our greenhouses have very little in them yet. You made some great choices. I'm so glad you got your Abraham Darby ~ I remember when I found one last year you said you wanted one. It's going to look spectacular on a trellis with a clematis. You go girl. That is one fabulous wagonload of plants. I think the prices are good too ~ our greenhouse sells roses for double that! So pat yourself on the back for getting a good deal too! :-)

garden girl said...

Love those David Austin roses!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Somehow I missed several of your last posts so I just went back to read them. I was wondering if you had snow recently. My sister lives in Meridian and told us she had snow.
I LOVE your purchases. I have Abraham and love him. I just planted it last summer and it has done great, it's grown quite a bit already. I can't wait to see all those trellis' full of flowering vines.

Unknown said...

Oh my my my! That Darby looks WONDERFUL!!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

ha..even a winter lover like me had a cart filled like that today. spring is really here!